The University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB) has initiated steps towards quality assurance as early as 2008 – just four years after its inception. The university is among the founding members of the Education Quality Assurance Foundation (EQAF) where its Vice President Kazi Anis Ahmed was appointed as Joint Secretary. In 2010, the university’s application for membership at the Shanghai-based Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN) was approved. The following year, the university underwent the Singapore-based Shujog Impact Assessment to find out the effect of the university’s work on its community. ULAB started on building its own quality assurance unit in 2015 with the appointment of Professor Jude William Genilo as Director of its Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC). In June 2016, the IQAC was equipped with its own office, facilities and staff.
The following are the milestones vis-à-vis ULAB’s efforts towards quality assurance:
- August 2008 - Founding member of the Education Quality Assurance Foundation (EQAF) – established . ULAB VP Kazi Anis Ahmed was appointed as EQAF Joint Secretary.
- June 2010 - Membership to the Asia Pacific Quality Network was approved on 29 June.
- October 2011- Completed the Shujog Impact Assessment.
- September 2015 - Signed contract with Social Vision for the purpose of ISO 9001: 2008 Certification.
- January 2016 - ULAB Media Studies and Journalism Department passed the first stage (initial site visit) of the US-based Accreditation Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (ACEJMC) accreditation.
- January 2016 - Entered an MOU with the University Grants Commission (UGC) for the three-year project: “Establishment of IQAC at ULAB”.